Friday, April 12, 2013

Girls' Guide To College: Part 1

Part 1: Clothes You Actually Need To Pack


Over the past few weeks, I have stumbled across a few other blogs that have done series posts. I thought this was a great idea, and I began brainstorming what I could do my very own series about. I realized if there's one thing I have learned over these past few years, it's how to survive and thrive in college.


Five years ago, I would have been anticipating prom, graduation, and going off to college. I was so excited that I was accepted into JMU, found a roommate, and my grown-up(ish) life was about to begin. My eighteen-year-old self was dreaming of dorm decor and all the fun I was about to have. I imagined myself still dressing up each day, wearing high heels, and looking fabulous. Little did I know that dorms were not very accommodating of fashionistas with ever-expanding wardrobes.


In mid-late August of 2008, I was on my way to JMU. Not only was my mom's car packed to the gills with all my "essentials", I had filled my car as well. I had six huge Tupperware boxes full of jeans, shirts, jackets, sweatshirts, pj's, and whatever else I thought I could not live without. Also, I had at least two more Tupperware boxes holding twenty pairs of shoes. I used anything I could put things in to pack my stuff. I think I left my room at my parents with so little that I could count everything on my fingers.


It took me a few months to realize I had over-packed. You would think carrying everything up eight flights of stairs would have enlightened me about my terrible packing, but nope. I felt like I needed everything.


I remember seeing my out of state hall mates with one large and one small suitcase. When I saw what they brought, I realized each thing they packed made sense. They packed what they needed. I later wished I had done the same. About three-quarters of my closet remained untouched my whole first year.


Thinking about this, I wanted to share some insight about packing with all soon-to-be college students. I don't want anyone to make the same mistakes I did and haul a bunch of stuff they do not need. Here is my list of 36 clothing items you actually will wear and need to pack:


packing college




  • 4 basic long sleeve t-shirts - Like I said about the short sleeves, these are great for everyday outfits. Again, I would suggest having some solids and maybe a print or two.

  • 4 pairs of jeans - I would suggest making 2-3 of these pairs regular denim and the other 1 or 2 pairs colored

  • 3 pairs of shorts - I would bring a basic denim short, khaki short, and black short. You really won't wear any printed shorts that much.

  • 1 casual dress - Dresses used to be one of my high school wardrobe staples, but that phased out during college. Honestly, one casual dress should hold you over. I found myself in jeans and t-shirts most of the time.

  • 3 camis - I know I love to layer my camis under a t-shirt or cardigan. I wear white ones a lot, so I would bring two white and one black.

  • 2 pairs of athletic shorts - I would take advantage of the free gym on campus some, so having a couple pairs of work out shorts was a great thing to pack.

  • 5 basic short sleeve t-shirts - T-shirts become a college student's favorite thing to wear. They are great for layering. I suggest basic solid colors because they go with so much more.

  • 2 cardigans - I would choose two basic solid cardigans. My favorite solid colored cardigans were tan/brown and black. They instantly made my outfits looked more put together than they really were.

  • 2 pairs of black leggings - Leggings are a great college wardrobe essential. They are comfortable and layer-able.

  • 2 sweatshirts - When I saw sweatshirts, I mean the cute ones you could wear with leggings that are a little longer than a regular sweatshirt. These are great for hanging out in the library or dorm room.

  • 2 skirts - Skirts are something that I personally do not wear much in college. I suggest bringing 2 because you will probably have to take some classes that require presentations that you have to "dress-up" for.

  • 3 dressy shirts - These are your "going-out" shirts for the nights you are dressing up more. I found that I did not need to bring 20 of these tops because half the time I was going on in a basic t-shirt accessorized with a scarf or necklace.

  • 1 lightweight jacket - This will be the jacket you reach for on those crisp days. Jackets are something you don't really need multiples of, and everyone wears the same one each day.

  • 1 winter coat - Again, this is sort of like the lightweight jacket. Bring the winter coat you love and leave the other 5 or 6 at home. The others will just take up unnecessary space in your shoebox of a room.

  • 1 LBD - I totally suggest bringing your favorite little black dress. There will be nights when you and your new best friends are going to want to dress up and go out. I promise someone is probably going to suggest everyone wears a LBD. Even if the night s not LBD themed, it is a great go-to for a dressier night!


These 36 items are things I promise you will actually wear and still look cute. If I could tell my eighteen-year-old self not to pack so much stuff, I definitely would.


I plan to do future posts about college life and other packing lists. I am thinking my next might be the shoes you need to pack!



Positive quote of the day:


"All things are possible if you believe."


-Mark 9:23

No comments:

Post a Comment