Thursday, April 11, 2013

5 Steps To Healthier Living

If you're anything like me, you often feel you can or need to make some changes in your lifestyle to become healthier. I usually go straight to Pinterest and peruse their "Heath and Fitness" tab for new workout moves, recipes, or anything else related to healthy living.


Recently I went to the doctor and found out am 15+ lbs lighter than I was this time last year. At first I thought I have magically lost the weight, but I know that is not the truth. After reflecting on what had changed this past year, I realized there were a few things. The main three that stand out to me are that I was more active, ate better, and stressed less. I know 15 lbs over a year seems like a very long time, but this post is about healthy living, not losing weight. My weight loss was simple a result of changes I gradually made.


healthy living




  1. Cut out (or cut down on) fast food: I know this is very cliche. The other 4 might seem that way too, but it's what works. Fast food is total garbage for our body. Although it is complete crap, fast food some how disguises itself as addictive deliciousness. I rarely eat fast food now. If I do find myself in a pinch and feel like I have to get fast food, I try to choose the healthier items on the menu. The good news about cutting out or down on fast food is I find the craving for it just is not there anymore.

  2. Smart swaps: Making little swaps here and there can really make a difference. All you have to do is find a healthy option that you like and choose it. An example of some things I do would be eating sweet potato fries instead of regular french fries. Also, I will go for a black bean burger instead of a real burger. Dessert is another place I make an easy swap. I like stuff like cobbler or apple crisp. Instead of eating those buttery, sugary dishes, I chop up some kind of berry and put a little granola and honey on top. It satisfies the craving without all the fat and sugar.

  3. Water: We all need to drink lots of water. This is another known fact. I drink water all day except for my morning coffee or on the occasion I pick juice or the rare soda. I also cut out alcoholic beverages during the week. Each day, I try to fill my 20 oz water bottle up at least 3-4 times.

  4. Pack your lunch: Packing your lunch is a simple way to help yourself not make bad choices when you're famished at lunchtime. A packed lunch does not need to consist of a sandwich and an apple. That is boring to me, so I pack things like salads, soup, or (healthy) pasta dish. I do like to throw in some fruit, like a clementine, too. So, get a cute lunch box like the one above and get packing!

  5. Be active: I like to run, so I do this several times a week. On days I do not run, I still try to get in some type of activity, even if it is only 5-10 minutes. I would suggest finding an activity that you like (duh!), and make it a priority to get stronger and better at whatever you choose. Being stronger and better does not mean you have to be the best at it. I am not trying to become the top runner in the world, but I want to be the best runner I can be.


Like I said before, I know my list is not the most original, but they are some of the things I did that helped me get healthier. I do feel more energized, even on long 12-13 hour days, like I had yesterday. I think these five steps are a great starting point for anyone wanting to make a change to healthier living. I think starting off with a few easy changes makes it easier to stay on track with a new healthy living plan.



Positive quote of the day:


"It's not about being the best. It's about being better than you were yesterday."


-Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment