Saturday, April 6, 2013

DIY Gel Manicure and Review

If you're a Pinterest fanatic or love gel/shellac nails, like I do, then you might have stumbled across a "pin" about a DIY gel manicure that costs about $12. Of course, when I saw it, I had to know how to master this awesome and affordable technique.

Before getting to the DIY, I want to tell you all a little about my own manicure issues. I am just the type of person whose nails will chip the next day after getting a manicure from the salon or from home. If I get a manicure at the salon, it has to be the shellac one because it will stay on for two weeks. The problem with salon shellac manicure is the price.  Places near me are at least $40. With a college budget, that is just not doable. I would rather take that money and use it elsewhere.

gel manicure with text

DIY Gel Manicure

(from: Emily at The Sweetest Thing blog)

Items needed:
  • Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat

  • Any color nail polish you want

  • Out The Door Top Coat

  • Nail buffer
Steps:
  1. Remove old nail polish if needed. Then buff your nails.

  2. With a cotton ball dipped in polish remover, wipe each nail clean. You don't want any debris leftover from buffing your nails.

  3. Apply two thin layers of Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat to your nails. Allow about two minutes between each coat of Gelous. After the second coat, allow the nails to set ( a few minutes).

  4. Apply a layer of whatever nail polish you choose. Let it dry for about four minutes.

  5. Apply another layer of Gelous. Allow this to semi-dry (1-2 minutes).

  6. Apply another layer of the color of your choice.

  7. Apply the Out The Door Top Coat.

gel nails

Review: The good: Even though it seems to be quite a process to do this manicure, it is really easy. I have used this technique several times and remember the steps without having to look them up each time. Also, you really cannot beat the price. I went to Sally's to pick up the top coat and gelous gel coat and spent about $8-$10. Basically each manicure I do costs pennies, and everyone loves to save money! Finally, this technique really does produce great looking nails with any brand of polish you choose. I have used most expensive brands such as  O.P.I. and Butter London ($8-$15) as my color choice and less expensive like N.Y.C ($2-$3). The results are the same with each of these price points.

The not so good: As much as I would love to just rave about this technique, I feel like many of you would rather me give you the real deal. It did not last two weeks for me. Though, as I wrote above, my nails chip easily and seem to grow fast. The DIY gel manicure lasted a week for me. I have tried doing this gel manicure several times, and each time it seems to chip around a week. I think it might last longer on other people though. Also, the manicure took a while to completely dry for me, but it was less time than getting it done in a salon. That is definitely a plus. Finally, the results are not exactly what you get from the salon. Don't get me wrong, the manicure looks still looks really great.

Overall: I would recommend this DIY to anyone who wants a way to make their nails look awesome and have it last longer than a regular manicure. You really cannot beat the price it takes to create this awesome nail look. It holds up to washing dishes and other things that would chip a regular manicure. I have followed these steps quite a few times, and I don't think I will do my nails any other way from now on. A manicure that lasts a week for me is a success! My tip to anyone who would like to try this is to make sure you get the tips of your nails polish really well. Sometimes when I put polish quickly, I can neglect this step. It is really important to cover those tips with polish to ensure the manicure will last because that is the first place it is probably going to chip.

Positive quote of the day:

"We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same."

-Carlos Castaneda

No comments:

Post a Comment