Saturday, April 13, 2013

BBQ Pizza

The other night I brought home pizza from a place close to my school. As James and I were eating, he says, "I wonder if they make a BBQ pizza." I told them they did, but that I also could totally make one from scratch for Friday night's dinner.

This pizza was very delicious, and I will definitely be making it again. I have had BBQ chicken pizza before, but this is the first time using pork. It was awesome. James and I loved it!

I have tested out a few different pizza dough recipes, and I think the one I used last night is my new favorite. I essentially used the recipe on the back of the pizza yeast envelope, but added my own little touches. I don't like blah tasting crust I added a little extra salt and some garlic powder.

The envelope claimed you could make the dough and use it right away, but I let mine rise for a half an hour to forty-five minutes. I think it was easier to spread the dough that way. The main differences between using pizza yeast and regular yeast are you don't have to activate the yeast in hot water with pizza yeast, and the dough is easier to spread out.



IMG_1657_2 
I took this picture on my iPhone, so the quality is not the best. Sorry! The pizza was awesome though!

BBQ Pizza Recipe:
  • 2 cups flour (plus a little extra when kneading)

  • 1 envelope pizza yeast

  • 2/3 cup hot water

  • 1 1/2 tsp salt

  • 1 tsp sugar

  • 3/4 tsp garlic powder

  • 1/2 cup bbq sauce

  • 1 cup pulled pork (I used the Oscar Meyer Carving Board kind)

  • 1/2 red onion, sliced

  • 1 1/2 cups mozz. cheese or mozz/cheddar blend
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

  2. Using the envelope recipe, make pizza dough with flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt, and garlic powder. Place kneaded dough in a greased bowl and allow to rise for 30-45 minutes.

  3. Slice onion and chop pork while dough is rising.

  4. Spread dough out to about 16" circle.

  5. Add BBQ sauce to the dough and spread all the way to the edge.

  6. Add a thin layer of cheese, then top with onions and pork.

  7. Next add the rest of the cheese.

  8. Bake pizza for 12-15 minutes on the mid-lower rack of oven. Broil the top of the pizza for the last minute of cooking.

  9. Slice and enjoy!

Positive quote of the day:

"Be kind to everyone, including yourself."

-Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment