Monday, June 17, 2013

Coconut Pound Cake

These past couple weeks I have been cooking and baking up a storm. Some days my kitchen looked like a tornado hit it. I talking flour, sugar, anything, and everything all over the place. Thank goodness I cleaned it up before anyone saw the mess I had created!

This coconut pound cake recipe is really, really good. I ended up making it twice in one week! I took half over to my parents' house, and they loved it, so I made it again for a dinner party they were attending that weekend.

Coconut Pound Cake

Coconut Pound Cake Recipe

3/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 lemon, juice and zest
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk, plus 2 tbsp
3 eggs
2 cups coconut, toasted
1 cup confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour loaf pan. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a separate bowl. In mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, and eggs, one at a time. Add flour thirds at a time, alternating with 1 cup buttermilk between additions of flour. Fold in 1 1/2 cups of toasted coconut. Pour cake batter into loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes. Allow cake to cool in pan for 15-20 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to finish cooling. Combine confectioner's sugar and 2 tablespoons of buttermilk. Drizzle glaze over the cake, then top with the remaining half cup of coconut.

This cake is great served with strawberries and cool whip!

positive quote of the day:

"Do not expect to become perfect all at once. If you do, you will be disappointed. Be better today than you were yesterday, and be better tomorrow than you are today."

-Lorenzo Snow

No comments:

Post a Comment